It is always good to visit other churches so when I was abroad recently, I went to Mount Horeb Baptist Cathedral. The word was powerfully preached by a man who admitted that he would rather be preaching on God’s love, grace etc, but was compelled by the Holy Spirit to preach ‘Please don’t go to hell’.
It was a full gospel message based on Jesus’ parable in Luke 16 v19-31 about a rich man and a poor man named Lazarus. The rich man lacked nothing material in life, died and went to hell. The poor beggar Lazarus died and went to heaven.
The preachers main points were:
- Life on earth is temporal
- In death, all we have physically vanishes
- Everyone dies
- We have this life to decide where to spend eternity
- What you do about Jesus and His free gift of salvation will determine your destination
- Whether you believe it or not, heaven and hell exist
The preacher went on to quote Jesus as he taught much about hell (Matthew 13, 16, 25, Luke 16 etc). To conclude, he simply stated that the fact that only belief in Jesus as your saviour opens the way to heaven (John 14 v6). He then asked people where they stood before God, and to come forward if they knew they were not saved. 12 people responded that day to receive salvation.
When was the last time you heard / preached a sermon on heaven and hell?